By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, relatives breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable principles are nonetheless renowned and pervasive--in truth, they could effect your personal pondering with no your knowing it. the following with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new booklet, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books via its malignant middle and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you are going to learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the muse for a protracted record of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on process "proved" God's life in simple terms through making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the idea that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may possibly win the award for the main malicious booklet ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past stable and Evil issued the decision for an international governed exclusively via the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf was once a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that debts for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a production of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male used to be easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, stunning, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area deals a short schooling at the worst rules in human history--and how we will be able to stay away from them within the future.
Read Online or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
This ebook so as to come as a shock to many expert observers and historians means that Jews and Jewish intellectuals have performed a substantial position within the improvement and shaping of contemporary American conservatism. the focal point is at the upward thrust of a gaggle of Jewish intellectuals and activists often called neoconservatives who started to impression on American public coverage through the chilly struggle with the Soviet Union and so much lately within the lead as much as and invasion of Iraq.
Elevating Sexually natural children: Sexual Abstinence, Conservative Christians and American Politics analyzes pro-abstinence discourses issued via the conservative Christian neighborhood and the G. W. Bush management, to underline that abstinence isn't really a peripheral subject, yet is a cultural and political factor of significant importance in US society, in particular some time past decade.
Braveness > COWARDS As we method crucial presidential election in America’s historical past, whatever has been misplaced between the entire debates, assault advertisements, and great- PACs—something that american citizens used to carry in very excessive regard: the reality. Glenn Beck loves to say that “the fact has no agenda”—but there’s one other part to that: those who have agendas hardly care in regards to the fact.
You could have heard of the "Great Books"? those are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have ended in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, family members breakdown, and disastrous social experiments.
- Thieves in High Places: They've Stolen Our Country and It's Time to Take It Back
- The Whig World
- A Deeper Freedom: Liberal Democracy as an Everyday Morality
- The Strange Death of American Liberalism
Additional info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World
Therefore, "it followeth, that in such a condition, every man has a right to every thing; even to one another's body. "5 Even to one another's body! That's why the neighbor on one side carried off your wife when she stepped out the front door looking for the morning paper. That's why the neighbor on the other wants you for a barbeque. Welcome to the "state of nature. " This was, of course, an imaginary exercise. But is it an imaginary state? In one sense, it seems not, because it captures all too accu rately the kind of barbarism that surfaces in the midst of war.
Because there is dis agreement, and disagreement must mean an absence of wisdom. There is, for example, not one philosophy in one book handed to us from the past, Descartes points out, but many contradictory philosophies in a multitude of conflicting books. It isn't a matter of I. Q Even among "the most excellent minds who have ever lived . . there is nothing about which there is not some dispute" in philosophy, "and thus nothing that is not doubtful" (Part I ) . Where there is disagreement, there is doubt, and where there is doubt, throw it out.
As soon as they had the strength to seek their food, they did not delay in leaving the mother herself; and as there was prac tically no other way to find one ano ther again than not to lose sight of each other [in the jungle or forest] , they were soon at a point of not even recognizing one another. "6 And the father? Well, as it turns out, the concepts of fatherhood and moral duty-even the concept of "love"-are artificial con trivances that arise only after men have declined from the morality free primitive state.